The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Essex Forum Start a topic | Search
Essex
Re: The Essex mini Megameet
70 messages
Select a forum:
Hi there, as an essex resident (albeit a northern ex-pat one), Ive been intrigued by the info on here regarding the Puddingstone Trail and the place names with the word "stone" in the title. Not far from me on the Dengie Peninsular (South side of the Blackwater)is a little community just called Stone, it has a pub called "The Stone" - it's got me wondering if there is or was some sort of stone in the vicinity,hence the name. Has anyone investigated or should I be the first ? I normally spend my time grubbing around for old stuff washed up on the beaches of the Crouch and Blackwater estuaries (fantastic fosil sharks teeth last weekend from the Crouch by the way, plus some very old pottery and what appears to me to be a flint core possibly washed up from the depths of the north sea)but this site has opened up my interest in other areas. Thanks by the way to Moss for mentioning the Petrified Oak Forest of Mundon on another thread - just up the road from me, lived here for 11 years and never knew it existed ! Would have fancied popping over to the meet but unfortunately clashes with my boys 4th birthday party (and another beer festival). Maybe next time.
cheers.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mart
25th August 2010ce
22:47

In reply to:

The Essex mini Megameet (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: