The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Cornwall
10 messages
Select a forum:
What a week! 7 days around the ‘toe’ of Cornwall and over 40 sites visited. (I will add site reports over the next few days). I have never been to Cornwall before and am pleased to say it lived up to all expectations. The coastline scenery is superb, the water a lovely clear blue/green colour and 7 days of beautiful spring sunshine – what more could you ask for? I won’t go into the sites I visited too much here as it would take too long but I have to give a special mention to Chun Castle / quoit, Lanyon and Zennor quoit, Men-an-Tol, Nine stones of Boskedvan, Boskawen-un stone circle……..oops, so much for not going on!! Suffice to say I visited a number of memorable sites, some easy to get to – others not so easy! The fact the weather was so good saved me from getting caked in mud on a number of occasions and made the visits all the more pleasurable. One thing which struck me about several of the sites I visited is how much must still be waiting to be discovered amongst the heather and gorse (I hate gorse!). There were large stones everywhere and I wonder how many represent standing stones etc? One other thing to mention is the number of fields I passed with many, many large stones laying all around. Presumably this is similar to how the Avebury / Stonehenge environment once looked like? Plenty of (relatively) easy access stone to build the tombs / circles etc. All in all a fab week and as I said, I was not disappointed by any of the sites visited. If you have never been and are able to do so, I can’t rate this part of Cornwall high enough – fantastic! (and I also managed to visited another 8 English Heritage sites – up to 78 now!!)

Reply | with quote
Posted by CARL
19th April 2010ce
06:24

3 replies:

Re: Cornwall (Sanctuary)
Re: Cornwall (caroline petherick)
Re: Cornwall (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: