The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: From latest online edition of BritArch - Silbury Hill
6 messages
Select a forum:
The Jersey Minx wrote:

It will be interesting to see what Leary and Field have to say about Silbury Hill and how it compares with a book just out called 'Avebury A Lady In Waiting'.

It is quite remarkable and I'm still trying to take it all in but I love his ideas as it gives a real meaning to Avebury and his perception of Silbury Hill and the meaning of its Causeways, which, as a female, I was completely stunned by.

Welcome Jersey Minx, I hadn't heard of the book you mention but found some information here.

Without reading it I can't pass comment but I suspect it is one of many books that have been written about Avebury/Silbury from a subjective, theorising view point - though an enjoyable read I'm sure.
Jim Leary and David Field are both archaeologists who work for English Heritage and I'm fairly sure the main body of their book will be grounded in what was found (and later analysed using radio carbon dating) whilst the conservation work on Silbury took place during 2007/08. For now it will be the closest we can get to gaining some small insight as to why/what Silbury was about.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
1st April 2010ce
19:31

Messages in this topic: