The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: From latest online edition of BritArch - Silbury Hill
6 messages
Select a forum:
Sounder wrote:
Hi All
thought this might be of interest - about 2/3 down:

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba110/letters.shtml

I thought there was other evidence apart from winged ants that pointed to which season some of the phases of Silbury were built in or am I wrong?

I can't think of any other evidence, in the Writtle book (Sacred Mounds, Holy Rings) there is a report on the seeds and fruit identified on the land surface beneath the mound, and the turf stack, over 1100 species, mostly very familar wild flowers of today. I think it was the vicar Smith, when Silbury was opened by the miners, he found what he thought was mistletoe laid on the stones around the original mound....
A practical builder would say, its easier to work in the dry summer months than wet winter months, so the argument could still stand. Notice Leary disses Dames and others because of the folklore mythology they have built up around Silbury - probably means Leary is bringing out a book with his theory ;)

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
27th March 2010ce
08:43

Messages in this topic: