The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Patterson's Bank Forum Start a topic | Search
Patterson's Bank
cup marked stone at the barrow
1 message
Select a forum:
I have long known about the presence of a cup marked stone at this barrow, on the edge of errington woods. Imagine my surprise when I came across it, completely uncovered early last year. I hastily covered it over and made a mental note of the site. Recently I spoke to a Redcar and Cleveand council parks officer who informed me that "we've resited the stone". I was out for a run at the time and didnt bother to ask him where, assuming that had found it on its new site.

Today I went up there and had a rummage around where I last saw it, the earth is quite loose under the bracken and lo..the stone s gone. I had a look around the site and found evidence of earthmovement n the west side aswell, but no stone.

Where has this stone been re-sited to? Vera BAirds fire place I shouldn't wonder...does any one have any clues? I have no idea why a sacred stone on a sacred site should need to be moved in the first place.

Reply | with quote
richy0800
Posted by richy0800
21st March 2010ce
22:18