The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Glastonbury Tor Forum Start a topic | Search
Glastonbury Tor
Re: The tor maze (or not)
49 messages
Select a forum:
Speaking as someone that loves the tor and is always happy to make the walk to the top, whatever the weather, I guess I have to chip in. Nothing very illuminating to say other than I took down my dusty copy of a collection of essays about Glastonbury which includes various eminent authors including John Michell (published 1978). One of the articles by Patricia Villiers-Stuart is called Bend Me a Maze. She starts the first chapter -

The maze on Glastonbury Tor has only recently been discovered; what look like sheep or cattle tracks to the uninitated, Mr Geoffrey Russell assures us are really its labyrinthine curves. And so they should be. Mazes to the ancient world may have been what atomic stations are to us, power centres.

So in that one sentence the essay already seems a bit dated; how we relate to our planet has changed in the last thirty years. I haven't got time at the moment but will read through the entire chapter later and come back with a comment if she says something I feel I can take on board.

PS: Lunatic? ... a long time since I heard that word used, perhaps better to stick to 'crank'.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
24th February 2010ce
14:29

In reply to:

Re: The tor maze (or not) (Mustard)

1 reply:

Re: The tor maze (or not) (Mustard)

Messages in this topic: