The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: How he loved the moon
97 messages
Select a forum:
gjrk wrote:
The other scenario -as we considered back there, somewhere- that the monument's orientation could be some sort of (now) indecipherable bow towards the rising, post-equinox sun, would thus imply that the builders got spectacularly 'unlucky' with their coincidental alignment ;)

I see that John North has some useful plans in his Stonehenge book (p72-81), but spends a lot of time stargazing from the chambers. He quotes Stukeley; "It stands east and west, pointing to the dragon's head on Overton-hill" (the Sanctuary and its concentric rings), although squinting at a map, this doesn't seem to be the case.

If they did want to be equinox sun oriented i reckon they could have managed it .Plus there are the continental cases which may well be the influence . The eastern arm of the Callanish avenue is also a possibility but only to the full moon ,we can't argue for a red moon so convincingly without a decent date and as it stands it's not too good .Then on the other hand the contractors may have got the instructions wrong due to being Iberian "I thought you said towards Overton ,not get it over and done with "

North is great but he had this obsessuion about looking for stars ,in ditches and across monumnets , he missed what may be some possibilities at Avebury and the West kennet avenue due to that . Looking towards the Sanctuary is a fair assessment ,it's not exactly aligned but not that far off .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
12th January 2010ce
10:11

In reply to:

Re: How he loved the moon (gjrk)

Messages in this topic: