The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: How he loved the moon
97 messages
Select a forum:
gjrk wrote:
The other scenario -as we considered back there, somewhere- that the monument's orientation could be some sort of (now) indecipherable bow towards the rising, post-equinox sun, would thus imply that the builders got spectacularly 'unlucky' with their coincidental alignment ;)

I see that John North has some useful plans in his Stonehenge book (p72-81), but spends a lot of time stargazing from the chambers. He quotes Stukeley; "It stands east and west, pointing to the dragon's head on Overton-hill" (the Sanctuary and its concentric rings), although squinting at a map, this doesn't seem to be the case.

When you look from the entrance of WKLB or the other way round from the Sanctuary to WKLB they are just about in view, but of course different time dates. But what WKLB faces is The Ridgeway on Overton Hill that comes over and down at this point past the Sanctuary with the Seofron Barrows on your left. It is the Ridgeway that is important I think, if you think of WKLB as part of a territorial marker, EKLB is higher up the downs between WKLB and the Sanctuary, and I presume the Beckhampton long barrow is the other territoral boundary on the other side...
This photo is taken walking down from EKLB, with WKLB to the far left and Silbury in front...

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/82309/silbury_hill.html

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
12th January 2010ce
10:05

In reply to:

Re: How he loved the moon (gjrk)

Messages in this topic: