The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: How he loved the moon
97 messages
Select a forum:
gjrk wrote:
Hi George. Meant to get back to this sooner. For anyone who's wondering what this issue is about, and please correct me if I'm getting anything wrong -'cos my knowledge of these monuments is fairly fragmentary- George has calculated that the WKLB was constructed in a position which aligns, within the decade of its construction, with the rising full moon nearest the spring equinox. This is important in its own right, i.e. the establishment of the likelihood of an exact lunar orientation for a major Neolithic monument, rather than "in the general direction of", but this same event, that the monument is aligned with, also has conjunction with Jupiter and Saturn and has a reasonably high chance of a lunar eclipse; a red moon. For example of the preceding...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080211133105.htm

Red light travelling up the passage, if you want to think of it in terms of Newgrange.

I was wondering, rather than Europe-wide, what the local counterpart would be and found the following in Burl's Prehistoric Avebury (p111). Again, I should say that I've never seen any of these in the flesh, but I assume that he knows what he's on about ;)

"Before its blocking the shallow crescentic forecourt at West Kennet was probably used for open-air ceremonies.../ At Wayland's Smithy...stones almost as high as West Kennet curve outwards on either side of the entrance, marking out a shallow forecourt.../ A crescent-shaped forecourt may also have existed at the ruined Devil's Den.../ the destroyed Old Chapel...had a very deep forecourt...semicircle of great stones..."

Reaching, but tempting?

Yep you've got the idea Gordon . I think the dating is critical .It is one of the very earliest long barrows , Waylands may be as much as 400 years later but still the same tradition ,Hazleton and Ashcott under Wychwood and Fussels Lodge have similar dates and could be considered in the general area .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
11th January 2010ce
21:36

In reply to:

Re: How he loved the moon (gjrk)

Messages in this topic: