The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
How he loved the moon
97 messages
Select a forum:
Ok. Apologies in advance if I'm missing something obvious ;) I've had a read through Clausen & da Silva and just have a couple of questions:

1. The data for spring moonrise is given as an azimuth range of 85 - 110 degrees, average 97.3 degrees. da Silva then gives azimuths for the Alentejo tombs, for comparison (average 99.3 degrees), but doesn't seem to account for horizon altitude? Or is this included in the standard deviation? I may be misrepresenting him by not understanding the terminology. If I'm not misrepresenting him, then his figures are possibly out by several degrees.

2. How wide, or high are the corridors of the tombs? (Edit. Actually I don't expect you to answer that, just leading on to the following...) An easterly/southeasterly orientation may equally have been for orientation on the already risen sun.

3. 85-110 seems a very wide interval on which to effectively hang intentionality, especially as the tomb orientations exceed this spread again (75-125 degrees for the smaller sample, 60-130, I think, for the larger).

4. Finally, at WKLB, is the horizon fairly low/flat? Did you mean 266 degrees for sunset?

You can answer me, if you wish, in musical form and I will decipher it using my vibometer :))

Reply | with quote
gjrk
Posted by gjrk
9th January 2010ce
01:57

In reply to:

Re: Music for Megaliths (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: How he loved the moon (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: