The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Music for Megaliths
97 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
gjrk wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder, in fact, if there isn't a better transfer of feeling about a place/site, from a directed, honest, association to a piece of music - allowing, obviously, for differences in taste - than all but the very best writing about the same?

Good ,non literary , art expresses that which can't be written .But it is all back to the subjective , there seems little appreciation of possible horrors associated with monuments .Last night , Newsnight had a piece on Ugandan child sacrifices by "witchdoctors /shaman" or whatever you want to call them . How many sites that produce positive "vibes " for the contemporary visitor were witnesses to the same ? All the major battle fields pre 19 th C make ideal visual accompaniment to Lambert's "cow pat " music . Sorry a wee bit pseuds cornerish .

Ah. You're probably right. I was merely wandering on from the 'senses' I got after listening to some of the music here. I'd absolutely agree with what you said, in fact, I said it myself, albeit probably not in so staightforward a fashion ;)...

"Our judgement of a site's vibe, character or importance, is formed subjectively, by what we see of the object and what's in place around it; picture and frame if you want to think of it like that. I was just anxious to emphasise that there may have been a lot more going on, in each case, (if you'll excuse the use of the phrase) than meets the eye."

Reply | with quote
gjrk
Posted by gjrk
8th January 2010ce
12:13

In reply to:

Re: Music for Megaliths (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: