The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wells O' Wearie Forum Start a topic | Search
Wells O' Wearie
Re: OT: Wells and folklore
46 messages
Select a forum:
Probably the only reason I think it a lothian story is because I've only heard in Musselburgh, Dunbar, and Edinburgh. That just means I haven't heard storytellers in the other areas that might be possible locations, of course.

I wasn't aware of those other possibilities but am looking at them for some clue just now. It being such an old story, it would have been told and localised in the way of the storytellers, all over Scotland. Localisation of stories is just part of the storytellers craft, but can lead to one tale being ascribed to hundreds of places, hence arthur being buried under so many hills.

It's called "the wearie well at the worlds end" in the oldest stories though, these tales resembling the cuthilldorie story, not the false knight stories, and the goblin is a frog that turns into a prince. There is a world's end near the edinburgh weary well - it's a pub!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
25th September 2009ce
17:50

In reply to:

Re: OT: Wells and folklore (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: