The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Hampshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Hampshire
Re: Witch Burial Site Under Threat
29 messages
Select a forum:
Seventhorn Inn wrote:
Do have a look round Curdridge, I'd be interested to know what you think and what you might find out. Not strictly 'prehistoric' perhaps, although a Bronze Age urn was found on Kitnocks Hill in the nineteenth century, which is now in the Winchester Museum. I do wonder, though, whether some of these witch stories convey echoes of primeval goddesses - if Curdridge was in Ireland would we be talking about 'the Cailleach' or a Sidh woman?

Bingo!

The Bronze Age urn means it has possible/probable prehistoric provenance, so I don't feel bad talking about it now! ;) I must say I'm intrigued, and will certainly be doing some snooping on the subject...

I did indeed go the route you suggested (IE the other way!) but noticed the hill mentioned on the map to the right of where we were.

I can't help but think, as you've alluded to, that the "witch" legend could have older roots. I'm sure there's lots of demon/witch/monster stories around that were probably created to stop people visiting the site or worshipping at an old temple or sacred spot. Those bloomin' christians, eh? ;)

I've not seen the dew pond on Old Winchester Hill! Or rather I saw what I presumed was a dew pond but it wasn't surrounded by trees or owt. Maybe there's more than one? I'd love to hear more info about it though - where abouts on the hill is it? Our problem is that our young boy can't walk as far as we'd like, so by the time we get to the hill, he's had enough, so exploring is out of the question! I think an earlier start and a picnic might solve that one... :)

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
29th July 2009ce
10:55

In reply to:

Re: Witch Burial Site Under Threat (Seventhorn Inn)

Messages in this topic: