The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Cornovia by Craig Wetherhill
4 messages
Select a forum:
TMAers with an interest in Cornwall will no doubt be familiar with Craig's books; Cornovia and Belerion, which have been reprinted over a period of nearly 20 years.

Now, both books have been released in a single volume, Cornovia, a signed copy of which I was fortunate to pick up today in Penzance for the cover price of £16.99. Indeed, if I'd been a bit earlier into the shop, I could have caught the author during a signing!

The new volume's main difference from memory is an expanded Introduction, and the inclusion of colour photos. My previous versions had only b/w line drawings as I remember - I left them at home on this trip so can't give a direct comparison.

The Introduction gives a breakdown of site types in the area, this overview broken down by a definition of each of the types, from stone circles to inscribed stones and stone crosses, by period. The era covered is from 4000BC to 1000AD.

The bulk of the book is taken up by a gazetteer of sites. A total of some 250 sites are covered, from the Scillies to the Devon borders. Only overview maps of each region are given, though Grid Refs and written directions to each site are included.

All in all, I'm well pleased with this new hardback edition. Even if you've got the previous versions, I'd say the expanded site descriptions and colour photographs make this a worthwhile addition to the bookshelves of all those with an interest in the area.

Reply | with quote
ocifant
Posted by ocifant
2nd May 2009ce
18:05

Messages in this topic: