The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Nine Ladies of Stanton Moor Forum Start a topic | Search
Nine Ladies of Stanton Moor
Re: please help archaeology student
8 messages
Select a forum:
HollyBriers wrote:

Hi Holly

As with others, I have approached the circle from different routes, on different occasions.

Questionnaire

• Sex: Female

• Class: erm....middle class from working class background????

• Ethnic background: White British

• Was the walk up to the stone circle…
• hard,
• fairly hard,
• moderate,
• easy.

I am not overly fit but I didn't find the walk too difficult. One route involved a bit of a climb, nothing too strenuous though.

• What was your immediate reaction upon reaching the stone circle?

The first time I visited I was enchanted by the whole setting, as we approached through a wooded area and it was beuatiful spring day. At the time, I had only visited big Cumbrian circles, so was intrigued by the fact this seemed so small and inobtrusive in the landscape.

• Was there anything you feel your couldn’t see as it was blocked?
Well, hte first time I visited, there was a group of school children using the whole area as a playground, so it was impossible to see everything and get a good look at the site. The next time I visited, some people were camping at the site and again, it made it impossible to see get a real sense of the site.

• Did the monument make you feel emotionally different in a particular way? E.g. scared, small, insignificant, made you want to alter the volume of your voice?

Well, I was a bit pissed off at other folks commandeering the site without considering how this impact on other visitors! (see answers above)

• Is there anything else you wish to add?

Reply | with quote
Vicster
Posted by Vicster
11th December 2008ce
13:47

In reply to:

please help archaeology student (HollyBriers)

Messages in this topic: