The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Temple Beeld Forum Start a topic | Search
Temple Beeld
Re: Temple Beeld
9 messages
Select a forum:
fitzcoraldo wrote:
Hi G
As far as I'm aware, apart from the previously mentioned work by Stanhope White, there has been no formal archaeological assessment of the site since Elgees visit. Elgee described them as a 'quincunx arrangement of ancient menhirs converted into a cross-shaped bield'. He also remarked on the 'cup-like markings' on the central stone.

It is a fascinating place and it's quite a while since I was up there.
I'm afraid I can really offer any other information but it does give me an excuse to take a trip over there and have another look around and maybe add a little more information regarding orientation etc.

cheers
fitz

Thanks Fitz , if it is prehistoric it will compare with Nether Largie which is unique ? in Britain . What do you think of the "cup marks "? There's nothing marked on magic or the explorer map so can't tell whether it is north or south of Black Dike Slack .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
9th October 2008ce
20:49

In reply to:

Re: Temple Beeld (fitzcoraldo)

1 reply:

Re: Temple Beeld (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: