The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lewis and Harris Forum Start a topic | Search
Lewis and Harris
Re: The Lewis Windfarm (again)
24 messages
Select a forum:
Although I'm hugely in favour of wind power I always thought this one was way off the mark.

Aye, it's a tricky one for sure. Wind farms seem like a good idea but ponder this for a mo from today's Independent -

"It would have involved 88 miles of road, eight electrical substations, 19 miles of overhead cables, 137 pylons, 18.3 miles of underground cables, and five rock quarries."*

And if I've read it correctly the power produced from those turbines, and all that infrastructure, would not have fed the Isle of Lewis power needs but the (Scottish) mainland. Fed what? More people with more electrical goods produced by a greedy global electrical market? None of that seems environmentally friendly in the long run, not to mention (and I don't think it's been stated in the press) the effect on the 'sacred' Lewis landscape. Seems sometimes like we're lurching from one frying pan into the nearest fire. That ain't the answer.

* http://www.independent.co.uk/e[...]farm-plan-rejected-813320.html

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
22nd April 2008ce
16:11

In reply to:

The Lewis Windfarm (again) (goffik)

Messages in this topic: