The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Newgrange Forum Start a topic | Search
Newgrange
Re: Newgrange: quartz and granite wall
67 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
I know there is a lot of quartz lying around Knockroe in Kilkenny so if u look at the pics of that, that maybe is how they found the quartz in Newgrange. I dont think its unreasonable to suggest that the quartz would have been used as a facing, however it obviously wouldnt have been as tidy as the OPW scheme that restored it!

PS Welcome and good to have another Irish poster.

At the time of discovery it was considered that a quartz revetment would have been unstable . Quartz is often found in association with monuments e.g. kerb cairns sometimes as a pavement an Irish example is Carnagat in Tyrone .There are countless other examples from Argyll Perthshire , at Newgrange there was also a pile of deposited quartz to the right of the entrance this would not have been part of a wall due to it's shape plus there was a similar feature at Loughcrew .

I didnt know that! So there is a good chance that in restoring Newgrange they could have put paving stones up as facing brick!
This is a pic I took of the quartz in Knockroe
http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]ost/55568/images/knockroe.html
Its lying in front of the eastern chamber so perhaps it was a type of paving.

Reply | with quote
bawn79
Posted by bawn79
26th February 2008ce
12:25

Messages in this topic: