The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Aberdeenshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Aberdeenshire
Re: Aberdeenshire help
35 messages
Select a forum:
I'd strongly recommend Inverurie (or somewhere near it) as a base - good for the Dunideer circles and for heading south to the ones near Aberdeen. And not too bad for the ones further up north.

It's also deffo the place other than Aberdeen itself (which for a biggish city is also a nice place) for restaurants - had a nice curry there....

Must sees that I can think of are East(er) Aquhorthies, Loanhead of Daviot, Midmar Kirk, Sunhoney, (Cullerlie's quite nice & near the last 2 altho way over-restored), Tyrebagger, Tom(e)naverie (& nearby Culsh Souterrain), Rothiemay, Castle Frazer/Balgorkar.

There are a few really good ones that hardly anyone goes to -Sheldon/Shieldon, Clune Hill, Netherton & particularly, North Strone and South Ythsie spring to mind, as well as (the weird) Shethin. (I liked Druidstones too, but others might be disappointed….)

Clothiemuir Wood (& nearby Old Keig), Image Wood, Strichen, Aikey Brae, Auchquhorthies (& to a lesser extent Auld Bourtreebush next door) Backhill of Drachlaw, Thorax and Yonder Bognie Wardend are all well worth seeing. Nine Stanes is cool & if you see that, the Esslies (Greater & Lesser) are worth a look. Whitehills is ok but didn't grab me, personally.

Deer Park is a nice 4-poster but quite difficult to reach. Broomend of Crichie is a henge & right by Inverurie, so worth a look.

To 'do' the Dunnideer thang around Insch (Stonehead, Dunideer, Candle Hill, Wantonwells, Inschfield, Hatton of Ardoyne, Old Rayne etc) is really interesting, but most of 'em are pretty trashed in themselves.

Loadsastuff in some of the threads indexed here (I've mostly copied what I've said before above) http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?s_id=437

I've probably forgotten some….

love

Moth

Reply | with quote
Moth
Posted by Moth
15th January 2008ce
00:22

In reply to:

Aberdeenshire help (Vicster)

Messages in this topic: