The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Table des Marchants Forum Start a topic | Search
Table des Marchants
Step-in Spaceship Mark
8 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Hi G . , The before and after pics of Table des Marchands are intriguing . I've never been but assume that there is some justification for the huge amount of covering rocks that had gone missing , or is it a Newgrange x10 type leap of imagination .

Howdo G.
There was an initial restoration in 1938. Between 86 & 89 the archaeos explored previous untouched levels and discovered the original barrow, this led to the current restoration. I'm not sure but I suspect the initial 1938 cairn was built to protect the wonderful carvings.

I'm not sure how much of the "Newgrange x10 type leap of imagination" was employed in the restoration. Considering that in this part of France you are tripping over these lovely structures, I guess there is enough evidence left to have a decent stab at interpretation.
I was there 15 years ago and everything was looking rather shiney. Wonderful place though.

G minor
:-)

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
15th October 2007ce
12:06

In reply to:

fao Fitz .Table des Marchands (tiompan)

2 replies:

Re: Step-in Spaceship Mark (Spaceship mark)
Re: Step-in Spaceship Mark (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: