The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Milltown Forum Start a topic | Search
Milltown
Re: The other stones on the map
7 messages
Select a forum:
FourWinds wrote:
Ooh. I'm not sure about RA on the same side as the Milestone. I'll look in the inventory. There should be a panel over the road near the standing stone.

The Gates of Glory have actually both falllen, and are close to the Milestone.

I was down there not too long ago and parked by the Milestone. I'm a bit miffed I missed RA near to it ... I shall have to go back :-)

Sorry, one half of a stone from the Gates of Glory is still standing, one has fallen.

The Dingle Inventory mentions only one piece of RA in Milltown and it is 20m from The Milestone. It seems that the one marked on the OS map is incorrect and is the stone you found. That stone should have ... a single cup at one end of the east face and ... wait for it ... 18 isolated cup marks and 8 cup and circle motifs, most of which have radial lines. Beneath these is a "complex grouping of cup-marks and straight and curved lines". There are three further cup-marks on the WSW face. It was Ó Nualláin that suggested the two stones here once stood and that the decoration was added later (because the grooves follow the downward slope.)

I saw this stone over the fence, but didn't go into the field to look at it, because I thought the RA was over the road. I'm now more than a little miffed.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
12th September 2007ce
17:37

In reply to:

Re: The other stones on the map (FourWinds)

1 reply:

Re: The other stones on the map (CianMcLiam)

Messages in this topic: