The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Gear Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Gear
Gear farm
4 messages
Select a forum:
Loved watching the excavations at the Gear Farm complex, the best TT of the series.......not least cos it's me home district. looking on my trusty OS sheet for Redruth and St.Agnes, the sheet north of The Lizard,i remembered another Gear Farm round enclosure nearer my hometown of Camborne.....and indeed, there it was:Gear Farm round,near Carnhell Green(SW617365,marked as settlement).But hang on -whats this? Tregear Farm near Crowan(SW640343,marked as settlement).......and hows about this? Near Killivose,yet another Gear Farm(SW642389)this time unmarked yet showing signs of occupying a site-a squeezed,but distinctly ovoid enclosure boundary........Now i take it "gear" is a corruption of the Brythonic "Caer",mutated through proniunciation.......
.......just how many "gear" settlement sites are there in Cornwall??? Phil?? Anyone?? Am i barking up a worthwhile tree, or indeed any tree at all ??

Reply | with quote
chris s
Posted by chris s
11th March 2002ce
20:05

1 reply:

Barking (phil)

Messages in this topic:

Gear farm (chris s, Mar 11, 2002, 20:05)