The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Silbury updates
669 messages
Select a forum:
ascorbic wrote:
slumpystones wrote:
As was stated, this is not the job of a worn-out digger at the end of the
day, but the job of a civil servant in an office who is turning out sub-standard material.

If they were done by civil servants, do you think they'd be any better? The archaeologists asked to do the updates because they wanted to make sure they had the information in them. What exactly is the problem you have with the reports, other than the jpeg compression level of the diagram? If you're unhappy with the amount of information in there, what do you think is missing? Bear in mind that they can't write about stuff that's not there. Do you think that a status report really worth more time than the approximate day per week that they're spending writing these?

Well they are kind of...empty? I appreciate that they are largely removing 1969 infill, which should be clean, and I don't need a picture to know what a tyre looks like after 40 years in the ground, but for such a mammoth project I would have expected more info. If the archaeologists insisted on compiling the reports themselves then time should have been properly set aside to enable them to produce something worthy of publishing. Again, no blame on the guys on the ground, but yer man in Whitehall [or wherever] would probably have a week to work on it, and the saving of his time should have been available at Silbury.

I suppose we're blessed with instant-fix Time Team, with assumptions being made on the spot, but to have what appear to be two ditches and read no comment on them is frustrating. Nobody expects a carbon date, but an educated guess would be nice. It doesn't have to be conclusive, "It's a hill on a henge", but it would be nice to know the thoughts of those on the ground, rather than a sterile weekly report.

The image? Well that speaks for itself.

This topic is locked
slumpystones
Posted by slumpystones
27th June 2007ce
15:53

In reply to:

Re: Silbury updates (ascorbic)

1 reply:

Re: Silbury updates (ascorbic)

Messages in this topic: