The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: I'd take the Fifth....
669 messages
Select a forum:
Pilgrim wrote:

Welcome to TMA. Fill yer boots, pal! Any info you can get will be welcome. As you can see, this subject matters to a lot of us, and our frustration is directly attributable to the lack of transparency and clarity from EH, and their seeming indifference to the whole time capsule nonsense. We'd love for someone from officialdom to raise their head above the parapet and sign in on here.

Yeah, I can see that it's frustrating. Perhaps it would help if I clarified some of the setup they have there to the best of my knowledge. Once again, my usual caveats apply - don't take anything I'm saying as anything other than hearsay. The time capsule thing is obviously a policy thing, which I'd assume would be decided from on high somewhere, so I know nothing about that. The updates are however written by those "on the ground" (or should that be "in the ground"?) - i.e. in a muddy field. I'm sure that they'd love to come here and participate, but they have no internet access in the places they're staying, and on site there's just Skanska's connection. I believe the way the updates are done is that they're written on site, then emailed to someone who puts them on the site.

I realise that it's not practical for everyone, but it is worthwhile heading down there to take a look and visit the visitor information point. They have real, live archaeologists there who can answer questions, as well as finds and photos and geophys stuff. Also the amusing DVD. I was there on Saturday, and despite the rain it was a good trip. They also have a portaloo that's as big as the visitor centre, which for some reason I found particularly amusing.

This topic is locked
Posted by ascorbic
18th June 2007ce
21:33

In reply to:

Re: I'd take the Fifth.... (Pilgrim)

Messages in this topic: