The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Silbury updates
669 messages
Select a forum:
goffik wrote:

Those of use who live too far out for regular visits to the hill rely on this resource for our updates. If they don't supply them, we can only assume what is or isn't happening.

slumpystones wrote:

Lack of consultation with non-residents, lack of planning, lack of understanding, but probably most important and worst of all, an action with motives other than good. Satisfying a handful of children does not wash against the storm of protest from several thousand objectors.

Well said goff and slumpy. As for those on this thread who kowtow to English Heritage by supporting the time capsule idea because, '...the little kiddies at Avebury school will be disappointed if it doesn't go ahead...' argument. Well, what can I say? Seems to me the school should be closed without further delay if the standard of ethics and the meaning of heritage conservation taught there (especially there) is so abysmally low.

And Pete G's, "...I'm even loath to post anymore photos on my website at the moment..." Fact is that there are only so many telephoto shots Pete can get of the Atkinson entrance and the monorail before even the most devout Silbury aficionado's eyes begin to glaze over. And also this by Pete, "We are not even 1/3 of the way into the dig and the best bits will be when the centre is reached." We? Is Pete now working for English Heritage? Could be, especially his, 'best bits are at the centre' remark. Sounds like something Atkinson himself might have said (or a jam doughnut manufacturer ;-)

Bottom line is this: English Heritage set up an Ask the Experts page weeks ago. They have failed to publish a single answer to a single question on that page. Everything that's been said here and elsewhere to defend English Heritage's appalling lack of information on its activities at Silbury is whitewash. Full stop.

This topic is locked
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
15th June 2007ce
07:51

In reply to:

Silbury updates (Littlestone)

2 replies:

Re: Silbury updates (nigelswift)
Re: Silbury updates (Rockrich)

Messages in this topic: