The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Silbury Conservation Conversation
669 messages
Select a forum:
The very last act of a process that has been characterised by secrecy, exclusivity and a failure to inform the public will be to say - Dear Aveburyites, no you can't come in and look, only those chosen by us qualify for that, but you can put some notes in this box to demonstrate to posterity that this was a sharing, caring, community project.

I'd laugh if this whole sorry saga were not so sad. Thing is, I don't think English Heritage are actually clever enough to concoct such a cunning plan; their lack of transparency seems to be coming from a lack of intelligence (re: their ill-informed, knee-jerk answers to our questions). That's not to say that they can't be devious little tos*ers when they need to be, more that they're just stupid little tos*ers, especially when they're in a corner being asked difficult questions. Like politicians and bureaucrats everywhere, English Heritage don't seem to know what they're doing and are just making things up as they go along.

You were quite right to predict the above - and I wouldn't mind betting that the next thing to happen will be for English Heritage to close down its Silbury Updates website due to 'technical difficulties' (and if they really are clever they'll no doubt then blame those 'difficulties' on us ;-)

This topic is locked
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
5th June 2007ce
16:14

Messages in this topic: