The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
The Ancient Stones of Wales: Chris Barber and...
461 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
moss wrote:
Well the latest theory and the latest book to go with the breaking news yesterday on the subject... £25 though.

http://books.simonandschuster.[...]e-Parker-Pearson/9780857207302

Not bad for 416 pages though Moss, there's been a lot dearer. Shame I only had a birthday a couple of weeks ago now so might just have to raid the piggy bank :-)
Not everyone likes MPP but I do. At least he has the balls to aknowledge that he hasn't always been right and prepared to change and the Riverside Project was good although I never understood why Stonehenge was always seemingly understood to be a 'stand alone site' until they concluded differently.

Well I've just got another good book through the post this morning 'The Ancient Stones of Wales' by Barber and Williams, so no won't be buying MPP on Stonehenge.
The 'stand alone site' tagging is I suppose because of the dramatic appearance of the upstanding stones compared to the invisible web of prehistory that is traced in the landscape and the money to fund excavations. It unfolds slowly this prehistory, dating etc....

The Ancient Stones of Wales by Chris Barber and John Godfrey Williams.

"Erected by megalithic men for some long forgotten purpose, these ancient stones are riddles in the landscape that have yet to be solved. This book explores this intriguing subject in considerable detail, providing descriptions of all the recognized megalithic monuments in Wales and it is illustrated with a profusion of photographs."

ISBN 0-9510444-7-8.

(Worthy of a separate mention moss?).

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
25th June 2012ce
16:24

Messages in this topic: