The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Uffington White Horse and its landscape
461 messages
Select a forum:
Uffington White Horse and its landscape
ISBN 0-947816-77-1
Published by Oxford Archaeology
Thames Valley Landscapes Monograph No 18

I received my order from Oxbow books today of the Oxford Archaeology book "Uffington White Horse and its landscape". Looks great; chapter 8 is specifically about Tower Hill which lies 4 km south of White Horse Hill at the northern end of the chalk ridge south of Wayland's Smithy and the Ridgeway. It lies withing a triangle formed by three Iron age forts - Uffington Castle, Hardwell Camp and Alfred's Castle.

"In March 1993 a local schoolteacher, Mrs Liz Philips found a dozen bronze axes and other objects while walking her dog along a farm track which ran up through a ploughed field at the northern end of the ridge known as Tower Hill ..."

She reported her find to the landowner, the Ashmolean Museum and the Wantage Museum and the site was subsequently visited by Oxfordshire County Archaeologist, Paul Smith. The hoard also includes a socketed bronze axe found by a member of the public, also in 1993 (reported to Oxfordshire County Museum Service).

Authors of the Uffington book are David Miles, Simon Palmer. Gary Lock, Chris Gosden and Anne Marie Cromarty.

(I've entered the above post under 'miscellaneous"/Tower Hill)

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
1st October 2010ce
22:11

In reply to:

Books of possible interest (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: