The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Books of possible interest
461 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
gjrk wrote:
Ah. The Irish Times has an emerging theory; a professional who may have gathered some parts...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news[...]e/2009/0914/1224254476530.html

;)

I met an Irish cousin for the first time earlier this year. I asked him what he did for a living, expecting him to say he worked in a bank or something like that. He was in fact a peat-cutter in West Meath (as well as running the family farm). Curtesy stopped me quizzing him too much but I did get the impression that 'finds' turn up from time to time - I wonder why someone would want to keep a foot. No accounting for taste.

I think Anne Ross and others quizzed irish peat cutters, as far as they were able, and were told basically that it happens more frequently than anyone knows but what you find in the peat stays in the peat, or at least, such used to be the case. Saw a programme about a couple of irish bog bodies from a couple of years ago that was really interesting, they used all sorts of methods to get information about who they were.

I often get asked about the real stone of destiny on tours, when we talk about the fake one. The feet carved in stones usually comes up at that point, with regards to the celtic kings coronation rituals.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
17th September 2009ce
12:21

Messages in this topic: