The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Seven Fonts Forum Start a topic | Search
The Seven Fonts
Re: He's off again .. well done ryaner
18 messages
Select a forum:
OK ... here goes ...

Bullauns are essentially very large cups/basins. In Ireland anything over 5cm in diameter counts as a bullaun and they reach 30cm+.

They are usually hemi-spherical, although there are some flat botomed ones and some conical ones in county Carlow.

They are usually associated with water, usually running water either by rivers or springs. They can be found on lake shores though or by wells. One common link seems to be Brigid or these days St. Brigit.

The accepted date for many is Iron Age to early Christian. I personally believe that many are Neolithic.

Purpose? Nobody really knows. Try some of these:

Domestic querns. Ritual querns. Scrying pools. Fonts. Things to hold the base of a tree trunk for some purpose. Pestles for preparing medicinal herbs. A few others I can't think of right now.

I love them. They're so enigmatic and touchy-feely. There's something oxymoronically organic in their man-made-ness if you know what I mean. For some reason I also think of them as being very feminine - I've always found that idea to be very weird!

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
28th November 2006ce
21:23

Messages in this topic: