The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lewis and Harris Forum Start a topic | Search
Lewis and Harris
Re: Rubha Charnain and St Clement's, Roghadal
10 messages
Select a forum:
goffik wrote:
Cripes! Never noticed that! The central positioning in the stone makes it look all the more man-made to me. Although, as I've said many times - I'm no expert..!

I wonder if it may be related to a bullaun? Or something like the "Plague Stone" outside Zennor museum.

Good find! Wonder what other people think..?

G x

Heh heh, I never noticed it the first time I went up the tower (earlier this year) either. This time it just leapt out at me.

From what I can remember, it's near-as-dammit a perfect circle, and while the depression feels comparatively smooth / regular to the touch, it's got the same rough basic texture as the rest of the stone (if that makes sense?) - it's also fairly shallow, so I'm guessing it's not been scoured out by a stone and water, nor do there appear to be other marks of any kind on the stone.

I'll go and have another look next time I'm on the island, and will also definitely try to take in Rubha Charnain as well - had to give it a miss this time as we were "doing Harris" in a day before getting back to Callanish in time for for the moon skim!!!

Reply | with quote
1speed
Posted by 1speed
6th October 2006ce
12:27

Messages in this topic: