The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lewis and Harris Forum Start a topic | Search
Lewis and Harris
Re: The I Love Lewis
33 messages
Select a forum:
Wyldeboar wrote:

Wouldn't live in Stornoway, it's a bit grim for my liking.

One idea is get a house with enough land to have a wee camp site..[/quote]

Oiiiii!!! Vicster!!! As an Expat Stornoweigian I have to...............................totally agree.Town has turned into a grim old joint thanx to the arrival (and rapid departure) of the Oil Industry.It's more aesthetically pleasing,and cheaper,to sail into Tarbert than Stornoway these dayz...............

However.As a frequently failed camper on The Island,I have just two words to say: THE MIDGIES!!!! Once experienced,NEVER forgotten.Luckily the weather kept their heads down when we were up there for the June standstill,but that's a MAJOR reason why there's a complete lack of Sites up there.

Why not open a pub???Matt and all the other TMAers who pass thro annually,or at least every 18.6yrs,......tidy living to be made.And you only have to open 6 days a week.[/quote]

Ha, yeah, we have discussed the midgies but have to say we haven't been that bothered with them, the times we have visited. I think it may be to do with the almost constant breeze (although Jane would have us believe it is more gale force!!) but I did end up with a cloud around my head when I went to the loo around 3am at Callanish and the wind dropped for 10 minutes. Not nice.

I wasn't planning on camping myself, just letting others do it on our land! We saw LOADS of campervans and tents scattered all ovee the island so there are some hardy folk out there.

so, where did you escape to?

Vx

Reply | with quote
Vicster
Posted by Vicster
2nd October 2006ce
16:06

In reply to:

Re: The I Love Lewis (Wyldeboar)

1 reply:

Re: The I Love Lewis (Wyldeboar)

Messages in this topic: