The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Great Circle, North East Circle & Avenues Forum Start a topic | Search
51 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Fourwinds,

"you are talking about abstract faces being either carved into stones or stones being selected for their natural likeness - this is called simulcra I think. If you are not refering to faces in stones then forgive me for misinterpretting your words."

Yes and no, the stones and image would be a selection process, the Neolithics/Bronze Age where knowledgable with stone material, I think a natural likeness would have played a part in the creativity, proberly including rituals or important moments.
If one looks at a stone, faces come up most, in all shapes and forms, it's even dificult to avoid, this is not the bit to focus on, it distracts. Mostly eye, mouth, or nose shows some sense of focuspoint or modification, and countours in that reagon of the face. One condition is that it has to show a level of perfection, it's not abstract like the numbers to the measurements.

But it's not just faces on the small stones, there are animals, objects, story like stuff like a horse going uphill with something square on back, rider on horse, man and ox, boat, cats, goat/sheep, Oceanus, and loads of odd stuff, regularly head attire comes back aswell.

From the many faces and I've seen alot, thanks to TMA, I only 'have' 2 sure ones and the 3e a possibly but not 100% sure. This face didn't even come up till yesterday, when I painted that corner.

"One thing to be careful of when looking at the proportions of stones is that many will have settled so that they no longer stick out from the ground as they did when first erected. Many have been re-erected in modern times."

Hmm I know :-), underneath the stone are usually indicaters as to how it's positioned, also geometricly it's not to difficult to see the balance to the stone.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Jo-anne
1st March 2006ce
18:13

In reply to:

Re: Pitchforks at forty paces (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: