The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Great Circle, North East Circle & Avenues Forum Start a topic | Search
51 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Jo-Anne

Actually I should have written it thus:

>> for this I took 2 examples that are <i>easy to see for the novice</i> [my italics]

I am very used to seeing faces in stone and judging comparative proportions (many here will do it even if they don't realise it). It seems to me that, as well as your grid system, you are talking about abstract faces being either carved into stones or stones being selected for their natural likeness - this is called <i>simulcra</i> I think. If you are not refering to faces in stones then forgive me for misinterpretting your words.

One thing to be careful of when looking at the proportions of stones is that many will have settled so that they no longer stick out from the ground as they did when first erected. Many have been re-erected in modern times.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
1st March 2006ce
17:23

In reply to:

Re: Pitchforks at forty paces (Jo-anne)

Messages in this topic: