The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Kingscrag Gate Forum Start a topic | Search
Kingscrag Gate
Re: Just to put my mind at rest...
12 messages
Select a forum:
There are two Long Cairns on the SMR in Northumberland, I believe, but both have a rounded plan. Please don't say 'there are none'. What you have seems to be an eartwork of some kind. Until you begin to understand the superstitions of the builders you'll not make much progress interpreting the features you discover.

The large stone pictured, with the female figure before it, is an erratic. But it's been stood on end and securely bedded. The carved grooves, at the top, prove that. Therefore it's a Standing Stone - and should be listed here as such. The Park archaeologists - I can dig out there contact details - should be told.

An accurate plan of these sites would be helpful - don't forget to include the extra bits from The Mare and Foal. Discovering (what-seems-to-be) the UK's tallest standing stone is quite an honour. One of the stones in the Langley stone circle is reported to have three boat-shaped cupmarks - a picture of these would be handy ...

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
29th September 2005ce
07:04

Messages in this topic: