The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Temple of Sulis Forum Start a topic | Search
Temple of Sulis
wasted opportunity?
3 messages
Select a forum:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4277086.stm
It's a bit of a touchy subject locally - the amount of council tax that's gone into building a fancy new spa in Bath so rich people can take the waters again. Apparently if it ever opens they'll be having to squeeze in next to all the white elephants in there.

I know I'm 2000+ years too late to see the springs in their magical misty best but it's a shame the design of the new spa is so very modern and clinical. I'd love to leap into the roman bath - did you ever get to swim here Moss? (I'm not implying she's Roman, I'm sure it was swimmable in 20 years ago?) and the pool of the spring itself still has a rather special atmosphere. I know I'll never get the public to turn into spring-worshipping hippies but the new spa is just alienating people from the Point of the place even more.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
26th September 2005ce
09:11

Messages in this topic: