The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Dressing up stones
25 messages
Select a forum:
Twasn't the Tigh na Cailleach I was thinking of. I've been trawling thru some of mi Scottish folklore works earlier (going thru a bittova clean-up, gerrin rid of a few) trying to remember the reference for this one. It's definitely on Eriskay (small Hebridean isle between Barra & S.Uist), at the back of the only small church on the isle. At least one day a year (forget which) local people used to walk in procession along an old road, round the church, to the old "Clach na summat-or-other", drape coloured pieces of cloth around it, give oblations, the usual healthy heathen Scottish stuff! Can't remember which book it's in. C'mon Rhiannon - you seem more of a folklore-buff than me! Help! (Not that it'll help, but the 6-figure grid reference for it is NF 785 122)

Reply | with quote
Paulus
Posted by Paulus
4th August 2005ce
20:35

In reply to:

Re: Dressing up stones (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: Dressing up stones (BigSweetie)

Messages in this topic: