The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Aberdeenshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Aberdeenshire
The 59 circles.
44 messages
Select a forum:
> The '59 Stone Circles In Aberdeenshire' of Chapter 8 of TMA

Yes, I remember, when planning my RSC trip, being rather frustrated by this reference in the book without any clear indication as to what the 59 sites were. There is also a reference to visiting destroyed circles but it's not clear if these are included in the 59.

So I started looking at other sources such as Burl and Ruggles which do list the sites. But even here there were references to destroyed sites which were not my main interest at this stage.

In the end, I set my own criteria which were
(1) the recumbent must still be there (with or without any flankers) or
(2) if it's not, BOTH flankers must be there.
So sites with just one flanker remaining were excluded even if there was historical evidence for a recumbent or another flanker.

I ended up with 60. But after the visit I took out Old Boroughtreebush because I wasn't convinced about its RSC credentials. And I only got to 34 of them so at least one other trip is going to be necessary.

So I suppose my list of 59 must be very close to Julian's 59 but I'd be surprised if they were exactly the same!

Reply | with quote
greywether
Posted by greywether
18th June 2005ce
13:18

Messages in this topic: