The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Glastonbury Tor Forum Start a topic | Search
Glastonbury Tor
Re: Storm on eve of Beltane.
4 messages
Select a forum:
Forrester,
I like the idea that the Tor is instantly recognisable, even to many people who've never been there. It's no doubt utilised on hundreds of alternative-type products from incense to organic soup and many other things. It's an icon isn't it representing (depending on your view) a nice hippy pagan place to escape to / ancient celtic/english arthurian things / an annoyingly load of crystal-wielding charlatans.

I like the way you can see it from miles away and it orientates you, you know where you are and there it is at the centre of this landscape that has all this mythical stuff tied to it. I suppose that's the appeal of the Glastonbury Zodiac - (though I must admit I don't give this any credence, I think I am more interested in the paths of rivers and the shape of hills and the intervisibility of things, rather than tracing field boundaries to get a distorted unicorn or something. But I can see the motivation behind it. If you get a copy of Mitchell's 'New View over Atlantis' I think there's stuff on it in there. But no doubt on the web too. But maybe you've read that stuff already)

I think it's not unfair to say that certain places have more of a special feeling than others, and this is something that 'presumably our ancestors felt too. These are often places that are boundaries. Boundary places are certainly my favourites, I suppose they're naturally so because they're more interesting?! eg tops of mountains, by the seashore, at springs, cliffs, confluences of rivers etc.
- and glastonbury tor is one of these places. It's an obvious distinctive landmark, but in addition to this it would once have been pretty much surrounded by water, and think how much more amazing it would have looked then.

So if you believe in Otherworlds, whatever that might mean, I would have thought the best place to think about them (some might say, #where the veil is thinnest!' ) would be boundary places - liminal places - like Glastonbury tor. And I like the idea that other people have visited those places before me and been thinking and experiencing things too.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
11th May 2005ce
15:38

In reply to:

Storm on eve of Beltane. (Forrester)

Messages in this topic: