The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Alton Priors Forum Start a topic | Search
Alton Priors
Circles under churches
272 messages
Select a forum:
Apologies for introducing this topic on TMA as it was discussed in some detail on the Stones List last year and some of you may have read the posts it raised back then. I'm introducing the topic here because A) after my old computer crashed I lost a lot of info on the subject and B) I'm sure there's a lot more info out there that's still not been discussed (are there any circles under churches in Ireland for example?).

The two most interesting examples I know of circles under churches are those at Alton Priors and at Pewsey (thanks to Pete G and Terence Meaden for info on the former by the way). I find it extraordinary that at Alton Priors the sarsens under the church floor are so accessible - why are they so accessible? And at Pewsey are the stones under the foundations a statement of the suppression of the 'old ways' by the Church or an attempt by the Church to accommodate them (I'm increasingly leaning towards believing in the latter).

Anyway, I find it a fascinating subject and maybe one that deserves a place of its own on TMA.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
28th April 2005ce
22:10

Messages in this topic: