The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wychbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Wychbury Hill
Re: The strange atmosphere of Wychbury.
14 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Forrester, I enjoyed reading your thoghts above I've not written abput or visited Wychbury for many years, although it is a place that remains vividly in my memory/experiences. In fact it was as there, a s a child, that I began learning and wondering about our ancestors and the 'landscape'. I recall a quote from an old book that I think was called 'Scott's Worcestershire' about water sprites and dryads etc in Ham Dingle, below Wychbury, and indeed the whole surrounding landscape, encroached as it is by urban(e) development, holds something of wonder and a feeling that it was a *big* place on the ancient map. Still not sure about the Saddleback 'Tumulus' on the North West side being a Long Barrow, I used to think so, but this was more out of wanting to believe than anything concrete. Unlike the Round Hill of course, which was partially excavated and dagger, urn, ash remains found.

Nearby Kenelm's Well seems to fit into the prehistoric landscape also, with a pool near the source of the spring bearing offerings. http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/Stkenelm.htm

As for Wychbury iteslf, I have experienced some heavy lucid dreaming about the place which I will not post here, but you can email me: morfe (at) morfe (dot) co (dot) uk and I'll tell you what I saw/experienced. It's a puzzle that won't leave me alone.

Well met :-)

Reply | with quote
morfe
Posted by morfe
15th April 2005ce
13:04

In reply to:

The strange atmosphere of Wychbury. (Forrester)

Messages in this topic: