The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlerigg Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlerigg
Castlerigg, and why not?
23 messages
Select a forum:
Ra!

Have just posted this on hh also. Thought i'd be very generous (as is fitting) and let you read it too.

Oh Castleriggleicious!

Truly amazing. If I use words of some gone before, I make no apologies. There are none which describe this wondrous being. Gawdy, I'm on a bit of a medieval knight type type today, forgive me my fair lady.

I went loaded with acrylics and chalks and black paper and wine. Then the americans came. 'Oh my gaad, it's an arwrtist!' Hundreds of them, With Their Banners, And Flags, and one of them even had a megaphone, like they need it, noisy intrusive buggers, ChhYaa... (thats american for 'yes, obviously, are you a thicky or something?')

Then they went away again after about five minutes of chanting (got to stick to the skedule) but not before queueing to tell me how grate I am. And i did a good job at being mystical and Britainish, which really means that i disguised my insults under a thin veil of politeness which was intermitted with the odd grunt and tick.

It really is one of the most impressive sites I've seen, not really so much for the stones themselves, but for the sheer backdrop of dramatic mountainside which surrounds it. Makes me want to don a long cloak and grow a long white beard and speak in tongues and live in a secret cave. Unless thats just a common fantasy completely unrelated to the majgijgic of Castlerigg, which until now has resided in the dankest corners of my mind. Mind you I've always had a thing about beards, it's very sexist that men can grow them but I can't just because of my y chromosome.

Anyways, spare at least 2 hours, if not a day. And take your own provisions, refreshingly there isn't any restaurant or giftshops. Hoorah!

Pix xx

Reply | with quote
Posted by Pixxx
12th March 2005ce
21:07

Messages in this topic: