The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lewis and Harris Forum Start a topic | Search
Lewis and Harris
Re: Devastation in pictures
134 messages
Select a forum:
Personally, I like windmills/windfarms... it makes me feel that we can make things better...if we choose...and that the anti nuclear power demonstrations of the 70's/80's were effective. Maybe, I'm just nostalgic for VW camper vans with ATOMKRAFT, NEIN DANKE! stickers on them.
Who knows?

As to the locals website, we come down to the definition of locals. If we take out all the 'white settlers', 'crazies' and property rich southerners, who will either die without leaving offspring to fill their place, drift away or go bankrupt. The ones who are left, those who were born and bred there and have little economic choice but to live out there lives there, the ones who would like to see a continued, viable society(with children) flourish on the island I'm sure that they cannot afford the luxury of, or even care about the effect that a wind farm will have on the view from Callanish.

I also think that I must point out here that the vast majority of the population of Lewis adhere to the austere beliefs of The Free Chuch of Scotland, a religion at the complete opposite end of the religious spectrum from the beliefs of Earth Goddess as is possible to imagine. These people would see such beliefs as blasphemous and the work of the devil. (Christian services are still carried out to banish satan from Callanish after pagan ceremonies are held there.) And rightly or wrongly we should respect (even if we believe it to be a load of balls) their views..... it is THEIR island.

FTC

Reply | with quote
follow that cow
Posted by follow that cow
2nd January 2005ce
11:42

In reply to:

Re: Devastation in pictures (smallblueplanet)

1 reply:

Re: Devastation in pictures (smallblueplanet)

Messages in this topic: