The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: avebury solstice & ridgeway
3 messages
Select a forum:
Hi AHAB, I used to knock on peoples doors to refill one bottle. This means you only ever have to carry one bottle. (or a belt flask, alloy ones are tasteless and colder) People are genuinely human, as a rule, if a backpacker proffers a litre bottle for filling along the way. A smile goes a long way, and often inroads and talk, local history etc, all open up. Much better than paying 6yp (I did yesterday) in a PETROL station for tiny amount of water that was originally free from the Ma.

I remember walking near Machynlleth, scorching hot, ran out of water. For the first time in memory, I stopped at a house to 'be'g a water fill. The guy who answered the door was an Asian Brummie, totally cool about the whole thing, and we talked for ages. Turned out he'd had enough of the city and set out to buy this little place with the plan of farming organic produce. As I swam in the river that afternoon, I though a lot about 'little connections'. New friends are rarely made in service stations and supermarkets. And that day changed my perceptions for ever about a few things.

Ramble on x x

Assuming you don't mind flouride that is.

(PS I have infinite info on weightsaving for long treks, mail me if U want, I'd be happy to be tried out, it's been a long time!)

Reply | with quote
morfe
Posted by morfe
24th June 2001ce
12:26

In reply to:

avebury solstice & ridgeway (AHAB)

Messages in this topic: