The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Boleigh Forum Start a topic | Search
Boleigh
Re: Goddess carving
11 messages
Select a forum:
>>Ha! Well, I can also recommend Cumbria.
>>I've had my head turned by Orkney, I must say...
>>For next year's holiday, we'd planned to try either the Western Isles, Wales, or Ireland... I think >>we're gonna go to Orkney again!

Orkney. Yea. . I know!

This year I've been to Lewis, Orkney, Wales, Cork, Cumbria and almost Cornwall (thats next weekend).. megalith hunting. They are all wonderful places for the Stones nut. I'd hate to say which is 'better'. But Orkney *is* something else. Because Brodgar is so impressive, Scara Brae so intimate, Maes Howe so incredible, and the smaller places (Fairy Knowe, Unstan.. ) so accessable and atmospheric. It really is wonderful. No, it's magical. . and it stays with you too. I've thought about Orkney so much since visiting. The Ferry, the Old Man Of Hoy, Strommness. . seeing Orkney as we passed Hoy, oh man, you gotta go! Outside Avebury, it's the greatest Neolithic landscape.

And you can see the Old Man Of Hoy from mainland Scotland too! never expected that!

Cork. The problem with Cork, is there's just so much! I'm a stone circle freak and the Rosscarberry region is like . . just . . WOW! I spent four blissful days driving round, trying to find circles. Cork is beautiful, mysterious and Summer Garland says she just *knows* fairies live at Derrynafinchin.

And Lewis. Callanish is so unique it almost transcends our megalithic mindset. Brodgar is like Avebury. . Castlerigg and Long Meg are distant cousins of Mitchell's Fold and the Hoarstones in Shropshire. . but Callanish is on its own. Nothing is like Callanish.

I'm rambling now . . what was the question?

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
25th November 2004ce
18:00

In reply to:

Re: Goddess carving (goffik)

Messages in this topic: