The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lancashire Forum Start a topic | Search
Lancashire
Re: New Old Lancs Sites
13 messages
Select a forum:
I'll be there at Hallowe'en. I'd like to take a picture of the sunrise from the Thurstones - I tried at Mayday but there was cloud - and I'm to show a local history nut the Burnt Ege row. He has links to the Country Park - I'd like to have the rough grass strimmed back from the stones in the shape of a crop circle - and is a relative. I've found another setting of stones in the slope down from this row and I'd like to get a better feel of what that used to be. I've still not found the original site from which the Two Lads cairns were intended to be viewed from - I have found another two cairns similarly placed - but somewhere miles away. Perhaps they were used to frame a setting moon.

The central place, to the stone remains, is Sugarloaf Hill (Brown Lowe) questionably or maybe Walkerfold. I heard my first Skylark at Old Colliers Row, incidentally, and there are loose stones in the field above there - I can't see a pattern. Smithills - or North Bolton - is possibly the best name for a grouping. There are quite a few examples of crude rock art among the stones and it would be useful to log these rocks by GPS. And with a bit of strimming perhaps one or two examples may yet emerge ...

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
3rd October 2004ce
09:42

In reply to:

Re: New Old Lancs Sites (treehugger-uk)

1 reply:

Re: New Old Gtr Manchester Sites (StoneLifter)

Messages in this topic: