The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Druid's Circle of Ulverston Forum Start a topic | Search
13 messages
Select a forum:
It's the second time apparently, and there was an apparent reason the first time http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=139866

Hob - "If this stone painting behaviour gets much more prevalent, there's going to be sufficient cause for to someone to develop a reproducible method of paint removal."

Yes. EH have some limited guidelines, and Rollrights seem to be being dealt with drawing on EH's Avebury experience, but paints and rocks all vary. I haven't been able to find any body of knowledge on graffitti removal from ancient stones anywhere, and there's a case for a research project and consultation with paint manufacturers and the development of more informed responses.

Lichen is an added complication and I've joined a world lichenologists newsgroup to ask about their thoughts on lichen-friendly removal techniques. My Saturday nights are now scintillating.

My instinct is that especially in cases where lichen isn't involved then time is of the essence and the paint could be more easily removed when still wet. Extra time could be bought by covering the stone with plastic to stop it drying out.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
30th September 2004ce
08:13

In reply to:

Re: paint (goffik)

Messages in this topic: