The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Whetstones Forum Start a topic | Search
Whetstones
Have I found the Whetstones?
9 messages
Select a forum:
Just back from a Shropshire circle hunt. . I took with me Burl's small Stone Circles book, and headed for 305796, where the destroyed stone circle 'The Whetstones' was supposed to be, (up 'till the mid 1800s).
Now, here's the thing. There's a Cairn on the ordinance survey map, at about 304795, which has bunch of stones on the top. You can see it clearly from the road. . and every link to the Whetstones stone circle I have seen on the internet, shows a picture of this 'cairn'. Bazza's been there, and, quite correctly I believe, calls it 'Whetstones Cairn'.
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/17800
Now, Burl's grid refference for the Whetstones site has the site east of this cairn, so I went further on. And wow! In the corner of a field, is a load of broken stones. Quite clearly all cleared from a field, quite clearly smashed. It's also at the same grid reference the Burl gives, (as far as I can tell. .). I'm not going to upload these pictures on TMA yet, because I still don't know for sure that these are the actual Whetstones. . so I'd like some help. . particularly because TMA grid reference for this site is 303795, which is closest to the cairn, in fact, it could be the cairn!!
I think the Whetstones were over the hill from the cairn, on a flat bit of field at the bottom of Corndon Hill, (which would be a lot 'wheter' site than the cairn). And these www.suaveharv.com/whetstones.htm are the remains. Any thoughts? If these are the stones, it would have been an impressive monument.
Or have I got to go back tomorrow and start knocking doors and asking farmers?

BTW, my server's playing up so keep trying with the link

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
15th March 2004ce
16:45

Messages in this topic: