The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Drumirril Forum Start a topic | Search
Drumirril
Drumirril, Co. Monaghan
9 messages
Select a forum:
I will add this as a news item in more detail when I have chance, but I thought I'd mention this here quickly, because it goes some way to answering an often asked question: How do you date rock-art?

I was at Drumirril in Monaghan at the weekend, where there are a whole wodge of panels with over 70 cup and ring motifs in total. The farmer would only give me directions to one panel :-(

Anyway, he mentioned that a team had been surveying the area (for the first time ever) over the summer and had also dug some test trenches aound the carvings. They found stuff datable to the early Neolithic! as well as some later stuff.

An article in the winter 2003 Archaeology Ireland (which I only got today) features a mini write-up about the dig, but it's not amazing. It does mention, however, an article in the Cambridge Archaeological Journal 1 (1998) that also proposes Neolithic dates for a lot of UK & Irish rock art.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
27th January 2004ce
19:21

Messages in this topic: