The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carn Tulach Forum Start a topic | Search
Carn Tulach
nearly destroyed site - what do I do?
9 messages
Select a forum:
Carn Tulach was a large mound when Fred Coles visited in 1910, and once had a stone circle on top of it, although only one stone remained standing by the time he got there. The mound has yielded cists and a stone axe.

When the RCAHMS went there in 1975, the stone was still standing, but the mound had been quarried away to within 2m of it. I visited this site just after Christmas, and it appears to have been quarried even closer, and the stone has now fallen and is half-buried (see photos - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/5062).

I'm going to send a report to the RCAHMS, but is there anyone else I should contact? The stone is on the edge of a commercial tip - would it be worth contacting the company that owns the tip, or is there a risk that could do more harm than good?

Cheers
Andy

Reply | with quote
BigSweetie
Posted by BigSweetie
11th January 2004ce
12:07

Messages in this topic: